Saturday, November 2, 2013

SRD with Kali: gqrx

gqrx is a software defined radio receiver for Linux. It offers the following features:

  • Discover devices attached to the computer.
  • Process I/Q data from the supported devices.
  • Change frequency, gain and apply various corrections (frequency, I/Q balance).
  • AM, SSB, FM-N and FM-W (mono and stereo) demodulators.
  • Special FM mode for NOAA APT.
  • Variable band pass filter.
  • AGC, squelch and noise blankers.
  • FFT plot and waterfall.
  • Record and playback audio to / from WAV file.
  • Spectrum analyzer mode where all signal processing is disabled.

I tried it for listening to FM radio again, similar to the tool I used in Windows. We can start it from the command line with "gqrx" or by selecting it from the menu.


I tuned to one of the local radio stations, and it plays fine.


I'm not a radio amateur guy, so just experimenting so far. This is a very good blog for SDR:

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/

No comments: